Monday, May 9, 2011

No Marvelous Monday Medium Today

Today ended up being busier than I thought it would be, so instead of talking about a specific medium I am telling you to go check out the work of Elizabeth St. Hilaire Nelson.


(A "paper painting" of Nelson's. She mixes painting and collage for a nice effect.)

I am very lucky to be attending a workshop given by this talented artist on Saturday, from 9-3. I can't wait to work along side other teachers! I will be working on some of the "homework" we were given this week. That means this week has a sort-of theme!

(I love her use of color in every piece!)

Elizabeth is a local artist, and it's interesting how my internship teacher came to know about her. She had a student in her class that babysat for the artist, so the student introduced my teacher to the work. Mrs. Nelson actually came in and did a demonstration for the AP students of her technique.

(I love birch trees, and the use of music sheets to create the unique bark texture in this piece.)

As her technique requires unique papers, I plan to paint up some of my own for the workshop. We are also supposed to sketch out our image and do an underpainting. After watching the DVD put out by Nelson, it seems like the underpainting acts as two things: A road map for the paper pieces, and a means to leave some painted effects in the pieces.

(The visibility of the wood panel as the background is a nice touch. I also like the clever use of stamps.)

Needless to say, I am very interested to see how all of our final pieces turn out on Saturday. Check back in for updates on my "homework" on Wednesday.

What are you doing this week?

No comments: