Friday, June 17, 2011

Friday Flash: A Sketchbook Assignment

For this assignment, we're going to concentrate on the decoration of our sketchbooks in two main parts: the front cover, and the inside cover. It's a simple assignment, but something to give some real thought to. I think sometimes it's often the hardest thing about a sketchbook.

The inside cover is equally difficult, at least for me. When I open my sketchbook, I want to have something special to look at, and by nature, it wouldn't be just a sketch. Here are two examples of my sketchbooks for you all:

My teaching sketchbook has a quote related to teaching in it. 

"If we treat people as they are, we make them worse.
If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them
become what they are capable of becoming."
-Gothe

This cover was actually inspired by the random ephemera  I was given at the workshop I started it at.
The inside of this sketchbook is actually a sort-of dedication to my best high school sketchbook. It may look simple, but it is meaningful to me.
I know that isn't a ton of examples, but it is a starting point. Just remember: Your sketchbook is all about YOU. Here's a list of some ideas:
  • Use gesso to white out the cover, and work on top of that.
  • Use text, quotes, lyrics, anything that's special or important to you.
  • Collage- cover parts or the whole thing.
  • Use stickers!
  • Use Japanese paper tape.
  • Paint is always a friend!
Decorating your cover can help you shape the theme of your sketchbook, and simply get it started. The hardest thing to do is start, you know!

If you decide to decorate a sketchbook, send us a link to your masterpiece!


No comments: