Thursday, June 2, 2011

Graduation

Why do I keep skipping posts, you ask? Well, yesterday was a very special day! One of my seniors invited me to graduation.

When I was in high school, I did not attend my graduation, so this was also my very first high school graduation ever. It was a really great experience, and as all the photos flashed across the Jumbotron (is that really what they're called?) I found myself reflecting on how proud I was of all the seniors I had had in my classes. It was really moving to know that I played a part in that, however small it was, and that with a lot of them, I knew what their plans for the future were.

A firefighter, attending art colleges in different states, moving away from home for the first time, working towards a family dental practice with local student artwork hanging in the hallways, returning to their home far, far away, and so many more dreams that they shared with me. That's pretty special when you think about it.

Graduation was also a concrete example of the support system these students had. Teachers, parents, siblings, friends, and family all cheering for each grad when their name was called. And it felt really good to sit quietly, and congratulate each one that walked on stage in a little whisper.

"Great Job." "You did it!"

It also made me want to be there for all my future students. There's that magic of saying goodbye, hugs, and quiet reflection that makes you feel a bittersweet kind of goodness. You know those students, you'll miss those students, but maybe some day they'll come back and visit. Maybe something you told them will drift through their minds right when they need it, and, just for a moment they'll smile and remember being in your classroom.

I wish all of the seniors who are graduating this year the absolute best in the next steps in their lives. What an exciting time for you: the road is opening up, and there are so many things you are going to learn! 




No comments: