Monday, June 13, 2011

Sketchbooks

If you're starting this summer looking for some art inspiration, the best place you can start is in a sketchbook. 

Sketchbooks are an important tool for any artist. They create a collected place for your ideas, whether written, sketched, doodled, drawn, painted, collaged...ANYTHING! A sketchbook is a great place to work over a summer to keep your skills sharp, and the ideas flowing.

If we're going to talk about sketchbooks, I want to talk about different kinds, and yes, there are quite a few! Sketchbooks come in many different shapes, sizes, and paper types. It is important to figure out what kind of media you will be using in a sketchbook before purchasing one. You don't want to have sketch paper if you will be working with a lot of wet media, layers, collage, etc.

Here are some examples of different sketchbooks I have:

I just started this hardbacked sketchbook!

This sketchbook is 9"x12", (a popular sketchbook size) hardcover, and bound like a hardback book. It contains simple sketchbook paper. I like to use a lot of different kinds of media in my sketchbooks (mixed media), and I get around some of the sketch-paper pitfalls by gluing pages together to strengthen them. I have used these types of sketchbooks before, and the paper really is pretty resilient in the hardback sketchbooks because they are typically more expensive, and have better quality paper.
Brand: Alternatives Art, Strathmore also makes these

Puchased: JoAnn Fabrics, $13. You can typically find them in Art/Craft stores.

I love the square shape of this one, a gift from my husband.

This sketchbook is a unique square shape, and 8"x8". I haven't tried a lot of wet media in it, but this particular sketchbook is pretty special. I use it to test out weekly sketchbook assignments, and teaching ideas. It's a great way to demonstrate adapting other artists styles and ideas into the assignments without copying. 
Brand: Flexi Sketch
Purchased: Borders, $10 but I have seen these carried in art supply stores.

This is a great watercolor sketchbook.
This sketchbook has really interesting dimensions to work with (6"x9"), and is filled with heavy duty watercolor pages. I don't work very often with this, but it has really nice paper, and it easily portable. Pair it up with portable watercolors, and you are good to sketch outside en plein air.
Brand: Canson
Purchased: I honestly don't remember, but probably more expensive than a traditional sketchbook due to the watercolor paper.




I love the reptile texture of these!

This is part of Strathmore's new series of "Visual Journal" sketchbooks that come in multiple sizes and kinds. Mine is a "mixed media" sketchbook, and it great for collaging and inks. They have quite a few different kinds from sketch to bristol, and even watercolor! I know some artists really dislike spiral binding on their sketchbooks, but I have found it makes them easier to work in because you can isolate pages more easily. Give the spiral binding a try!
Brand: Strathmore Visual Journal
Purchased: Price varies with size, but expect to spend $6-$15 You can find the medium size at Michaels, but try art stores for the full range.

A non-traditional sketchbook.

Ok, this one is kind of a cheat- I don't plan to make this a sketchbook, but you can make an altered book into a sketchbook easily. This is actually a creative example of what paper companies make as samples to send out to clients. It is full of different kinds of paper, and great for experimenting. I used gesso on the cover to white out the company name, and plan to go back in with some embellishments. The lesson here is that a sketchbook doesn't have to be a sketchbook!
Brand: None
Purchased: Free, given to me from my internship teacher.

I hope this has given you a better idea of what's out there. When you choose your sketchbook, make sure you look at everything offered. You can get sketchbooks made from recycled paper, and many other kinds of paper. Just know Drawing paper is better than Sketch paper- if you are looking to use more than just pencil, go for drawing paper.

Was this helpful? Let me know!

No comments: